Friday, September 13, 2013

The Decorista Chronicles//Design Your Own Workspace!

Here's today's doze of awesome! DIY Desk Organizers in the newest Design Your Own Series! After the decent popularity of the Wardrobe Stylist Series which features effortlessly lovely, cheap and easy DIY projects that add to your wardrobe glamour, I did a mental note to start up on another series with the same motto!
We have a file box, and a super-cute mini shelf at the bottom that houses my washi tape. You can chuck in notebooks, cute pads and a lot of other stuff; but here's why I went with washi tape!

 Remember my washi tape display stand here? If I didn't clean it regularly, the white plates would periodically collect dust because my cute little stand sat by the window and the Middle East is known for random sand storms!
 ..............................................
Here's what you need!
-White Paper sheets, scissors, craft glue and pencils
-Skewer sticks
-Pretty giftwrap/scrapbook paper
-Sturdy boxes in different sizes*
-Craft Knife
-Metal Ruler (for leveling, measuring and to aid in cutting)

*I used a tissue box at the bottom, however my original plan was to use VHS cassette boxes, ya' know, the transparent ones that used to hold our old-time cassetes? I wanted to layer two of them for all my washi tape, but I couldn't remember where I'd put them when we shifted homes,so I ended up using a tissue box and as you can see it got ever-so-slightly bent.
So I highly recommend you use those transparent/solid VHS tape boxes cuz' they look so much more classier and hold all the more well!
........................................................ 
Steps:
1.Begin by cutting out the flap from one of the longer sides of your box. Cover the ugly cardboard insides with white paper/any paper and glue down the flap to the base.
  2.Measure the height of your box from the side, take the half height and draw a line across, which divides the shorter side of the box in two
3.Insert four-five skewer sticks at equal length intervals and pierce them out through the other sides. You wanna make sure that they just about fit the length of the box and dab glue at the ends just for extra strength.

4.Try on your washi tape arrangement!
(If you are using cassette boxes, then skip step 3!)
And because I was in such hysterics at the time, I simply draped my scarf on top of the box! *sheepish*
4.If you've had any so-not-attractive edges while using the craft knife (like me)on your box, you'll want to make those straight now with the help of scissors.
 .............................................................
5.For the file box, take your sturdy larger box whose base should approximately match the width of the lower box's base (which now holds washi tape)
6.Cut down slant from the top at both the longitudinal sides
7.Wrap it up!
8.Hot glue the file box onto the base box.

9.Go around with a trim of washi tape for added drama!


And to give you guys a teaser, the next post in the series will feature "Design Your Own: Stationery!". Design Your Own aims to give you a fantastic office space without having to spend a dime! College students and dorm room'ers, this is your cue!
So, in the next thriller here at Craft A Doodle Doo, I show you how you can make your own journals and note books (like the one I handcrafted above) with a watercolor flair that looks store-bought!

Make sure you don't miss out on the next post!
 ............................................................
Join me on Pinterest and Facebook or become a subscriber to make sure you receive your next pill of epic craft action!
............................................................

You can check out the tut for the cute trinkets jars above here!
To see how to make your own washi tape, hop here!
*********************
Pin this post now if you've found it handy and spread the word!
Oodles of love n' hugs;
Nash




No comments:

Post a Comment


FRESH IRRESISTABLE IDEAS...

RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!

* indicates required

View previous campaigns.